Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament (JESOT) is a peer-reviewed journal devoted to the academic and evangelical study of the Old Testament. The journal seeks to fill a need in academia by providing a venue for high-level scholarship on the Old Testament from an evangelical standpoint. The journal is not affiliated with any particular academic institution, and with an international editorial board, online format, and multi-language submissions, JESOT cultivates and promotes Old Testament scholarship in the evangelical global community. The journal differs from many evangelical journals in that it seeks to publish current academic research in the areas of ancient Near Eastern backgrounds, Dead Sea Scrolls, Rabbinics, Linguistics, Septuagint, Research Methodology, Literary Analysis, Exegesis, Text Criticism, and Theology as they pertain only to the Old Testament. The journal will be freely available to the scholarly community and will be published bi-annually online. Hard copies will be produced by request. JESOT also includes up-to-date book reviews on various academic studies of the Old Testament.
JESOT is indexed in Old Testament Abstracts, Christian Periodical Index, The Ancient World Online, and Biblicalstudies.org.uk.
The editorial staff and board of Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament endorses the following doctrinal statement which has been adapted from the internationally oriented Lausanne Covenant:
1. The belief in the one eternal God who exists in three persons as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and who creates and governs all things in accordance with his will.
2. The belief that the Old and New Testament Scriptures are divinely inspired, without error in all that they affirm, the only infallible rule of faith and practice, and able to accomplish God’s purpose of salvation.
3. The deity of Jesus Christ, his substitutionary death on the cross as the necessary means for the redemption of the world, and his bodily resurrection and return.
4. The work of the Holy Spirit in granting new life to the believer and bearing witness to the Truth through the study and proclamation of the Word of God.
* JESOT welcomes submissions from contributors that do not adhere to the above statements. However, the editorial staff and board will reserve the right to determine an article’s appropriateness for publication.